Hi, there, Tami, the One True, here. I’ve been asked by Tata to put up a guest post for the increasingly popular blogswarm about HR550, the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act. She has asked me to cross-post my take on it because she is – and ) quote – “small and covered with fur”. So, without further ado, I submit my posting about Verified Voting and the Voter Confidence petition.
If we can’t feel confident that our votes are counted, and counted correctly, can we really feel that we have a voice in our own government? If we aren’t sure that our votes go to the people we intend them to go to, them who is our representative democracy really representing? The answer is “not the individual voters”.
That’s why HR 550 is important. There’s a petition out there on Rush Holt’s web site to support HR 550. What is the bill all about? Some highlights, from the site:
The Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act (H.R. 550) will:
* Mandate a voter verified paper ballot for every vote cast in every federal election, nationwide; because the voter verified paper record is the only one verified by the voters themselves, rather than by the machines, it will serve as the vote of record in any case of inconsistency with electronic records;
* Protect the accessibility requirements of the Help America Vote Act for voters with disabilities;
* Require random, unannounced, hand-count audits of actual election results in every state, and in each county, for every Federal election;
* Prohibit the use of undisclosed software and wireless and concealed communications devices and internet connections in voting machines;
* Provide Federal funding to pay for implementation of voter verified paper balloting; and
* Require full implementation by 2006
Other bloggers are posting about this important issue today. I’ll update the list as I find more. Feel free to read any one of them for more information and opinion.
Blanton’s and Ashton’s
The Center of NJ Life
Did I say that out loud?
The Opinion Mill
A Mockingbird’s Medley
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
Daily Kos (registered Daily Kos people, please recommend this diary)
Pam’s House Blend
Brilliant at Breakfast
Read up, and please, sign the petition.